I guess I am not really shocked that they are remaking this, as it seems to be the thing to do now.
Will they ever stop? I am guessing the upcoming remake [mentioned in the clue above] will again feature a three breasted hooker? Kate Beckensale is supposedly featured in the role that Sharon Stone had (ok, they both look good in spandex), and Colin Farrell as Schwarzenager. IMDB lists more on the upcoming film here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386703/.
Here are a few other remakes, that should never have happened (I won’t even mention the dozen horror films that came out the past few years).
- Footloose: was meant to stay in the 80s with Kevin Bacon
- The Longest Yard: an ok Adam Sandler spoof, but nothing like the original which is a classic in my mind (what’s next, a remake of slapshot where a digital reincarnation of paul newman comes back as the coach)
- Arthur: this just shouldn’t have been make the first time, and I guess they found this generation’s drunk or drug addict Brit in Russell Brand.
- Clash of the Titans
- Fame (this should be an MTV series at best… oh wait, I think it was, with a different name)
- Conan the Barbarian (come on, how do you mess with the Governator?)
I will give some credit to Karate Kids and the new Planet of the Apes films. Although I will always hold the originals in much higher regard.
Here is a list of remakes that are supposedly in the works per the ‘Den of Geek’ website:
- Akira (an anime classic)
- The Best Little Whore House in Texas (who can replace Dolly Parton?)
- The Black Hole (a childhood favorite of mine)
- Death Wish
- Escape from New York
- Flash Gordon (not sure anyone under 40 cares; maybe Tom Brady will be Flash and sport the Pats Jersey instead of the Jets)
- Fletch (how dare they consider remaking this!)
- Ghostbusters (not a chance of holding a candle to the original)
- Gremlins (really?)
- National Lampoons Vacation (see Fletch above; don’t mess with old Chevy Chase)
- Police Academy (didn’t “Reno 911” do a a good job of this without abusing an old name?)
- Red Dawn (ok, I can see this)
- Robocop (not surprised, has box office appeal, but…)
- Romancing the Stone (should stay back in time where it was relevant)
- The Three Stooges (that would be like casting someone else to redo Eddie Murphy’s ‘Delirious’ standup)
- Westworld (might be ok)
- Yellow Submarine (Robert Zemekis is trying to reboot this… not a good idea)
SPOILER ALERT…. …. Here is the trailer for the upcoming remake of Total Recall.